Archives for July 2019
Join us this week on a special Unscripted podcast with Sh Sajid Umar talking about various topics including social media ills, celebrity and scholar isms, Instagram stars, pornography, Liverpool F.C, and much more.
This is a discussion about the difference between movement and progress, titled: From Knowing to Growing. Please have a listen and share. May Allah grant you all better. Ameen.
1. Teach them about Allah Almighty using His Names and Attributes. Be sure to make them _experience_ this knowledge, and avoid making their relationship with their Lord a body of _theoretical knowledge_ void of any understanding and action.
2. Frequent the following dua:
رَبَّنَا هَبۡ لَنَا مِنۡ أَزۡوَ ٰجِنَا وَذُرِّیَّـٰتِنَا قُرَّةَ أَعۡیُنࣲ وَٱجۡعَلۡنَا لِلۡمُتَّقِینَ إِمَامًا
“Our Lord, grant us from among our wives and offspring comfort to our eyes and make us an example for the righteous.”
3. Strategically place them in efforts/projects that are beloved to Allah Almighty, for this will make them from the righteous, and Allah Almighty protects and takes care of the pious and righteous.
The pious before us would say: “We made our children work for Allah, and Allah took care of their dunya (worldly life) and their aakirah (hereafter)”.
May Allah preserve us and our children in His obedience, and gather us with our children in the Highest paradise. Ameen.
Shaikh Sajid Umar
Copied from a support group:
*Collapse of Parenting…..*
Yesterday we attended an event that changed my perspective on raising kids completely. I will try to summarize the key points as it will be helpful to all. The speaker was Dr. Leonard Sax; a known Psychologist and author of a famous book call Collapse of Parenting. He had a lot of statistical information and tips to raise kids in America.
Even though it was more focused on American Kids, it applies to bringing up Kids in the Age of Internet and Social Media, the evils of which have spread like an epidemic in the whole world. I can tell you that this was probably the best 3 hour workshop we attended. I have summarized the points below.
1) Statistically the biggest indicator of success at 32 years is having self-control when a kid is 12 years old. Success is determined by a lot of factors namely no drug , no criminal violation, having a stable job, good citizenship etc
2) Make your kids speak their native language at home and with you. Reduce generation gap by involving their grandparents in their lives. If possible try to convince their grand-parents to move in with you.
3) Make them feel proud of their heritage. Kids nowadays are ashamed to talk their language or wear their cultural attire. In a quest to fit in and assimilate they want to no longer associate with their roots.
4) Have a friend circle with folks whose kids also are able to communicate in the same mother tongue. This way the kids can talk the language among themselves.
5) Do not give them smart phones until you know they are responsible. Buy them a dumb phone if required. This phone will fulfill the needs.