Assalamualaikum everyone. Below is a collection of Sh. Sajid Umar’s tweets on twitter related to Islamic Endowments (Awqaaf). These tweets are based on inspirations received from his teachers and lessons found in our heritage of Islamic Knowledge.
1. Islam established endowments. The ummah is lacking greatly in the field of endowments generally & knowledge related ones specifically.
2. Endowments did not exist in Arabia prior to Islam. Islam ensured EVERY Muslim developed a responsibility for community development.
3. Zaid bin Thaabit never saw anything as more beneficial to the deceased besides the endowments they established before they passed away!
4. Jaabir (RA) said that there was no able companion, except that they created endowments to the best of their abilities.
5. One of the ways to continue our building of our paradise after we pass away is via continuous charities. An endowment is just that!
6. All endowments are important, however the best endowments are educational based endowments as their benefits are more & last longer.
7. From the benefits of educational based endowments, is that they create individuals that will create and inspire new endowments…
8. A cursory study of the Umayyid and Abbaasid empires prove the presence of endowments, most of which were educational related.
9. We have heard of Azhar and Zaytuna! These life changing institutes were born out of endowments.
10. The greatest scholars we know of are products of programs founded upon endowments. Daar alHadeeth of Damascus is a great study for us!
11. Imams alMizzi, anNawawi, ibn Hajr alAsqalaani, ibn asSalaah, ibn Katheer and others, are from the alumni of Daar alHadeeth!
12. The ummah today is in need of endowments specific for the upkeep of our students of knowledge, scholars, propagators & teachers.
13. A scholar cannot truly inspire & create change whilst remaining under the arm of the rich, relying on them for his daily bread.
14. Students of knowledge cannot really dedicate themselves with all the challenges that capitalism throws at them.
15. Endowments will help bring honour and independence to our scholars and propagators & ensure ‘laser-focus’ attention from our students.
May Allah grant us all the understanding and inspire us to create endowments. Ameen.
for more information on the topic, please write through to our sheikh via www.sajidumar.com.