-Reading: Page 75-84
-“Mirbad”: Refers to the place dates are placed on so that they become dry.
-This Hadith cited that mentions Abu Lubabah is weak.
Why is there difference of opinion when the Qur’an and Sunnah are one?
-We have many angles here: Linguistic, method of deduction, etc.
-It is an intricate topic, and there are various ways of deducting rulings from the Qu’ran and sunnah, right from the companions.
-Some scholars from the Sahabah had confidence in looking at meaning of texts a bit more than others, whilst others wore content to stick tot he apparent ruling of the text.
-One example of this difference in understanding the statement of the Prophet(s) in different ways is from this hadith:
Narrated Abd-Allah ibn Umar: On the day of Al-Ahzab (i.e. Clans) the Prophet (s) said, “None of you Muslims) should offer the ‘Asr prayer but at Banu Qurayza’s place.” The ‘Asr prayer became due for some of them on the way. Some of those said, “We will not offer it till we reach it, the place of Banu Quraiza,” while some others said, “No, we will pray at this spot, for the Prophet did not mean that for us.” Later on it was mentioned to the Prophet and he did not berate any of the two groups. [Bukhari and Muslim]
- Some looked at the more apparent meaning of the Prophet’s (s) instruction, and other companions looked at the context behind his instruction.
-The Prophet(s) didn’t say either of their methodologies were wrong, as they both exercised ijtihad.
-Our rich heritage of fiqh is something that is an evidence that the shari’ah will remain until the day of judgement.
-Fiqh is only “Fiqh” if its based on the Qur’an and sunnah, and it sincorrect to simplify the discussion by saying “There’s one Qur’an and one sunnah and there should be one way to do things.”
The Day of Jumu’ah
The Messenger of Allah (s) said: “Allah led those who came before us away from Friday. The Jews had Saturday, and the Christians had Sunday. Then Allah brought us and Allah guided us to Friday. So there is Friday, Saturday and Sunday, and thus they will follow us on the Day of Resurrection. We are the last of the people of this world but we will be the first on the Day of Resurrection, and we will be dealt with before all others.” [Sahih Muslim]
The Prophet(s) said, “The best day on which the sun rises is Friday. On it Adam was created, on it he was admitted to Paradise and on it he was expelled therefrom.” [Sahih Muslim]
-This ummah will be the first to enter jannah, and the first to be questioned.
– It is a Day for Rasulullah (s) and his followers
-The Prophet(s) said, “The best of your days is Friday. On that day Adam (peace be upon him) was created; on that day he died; on that day the Trumpet will be blown and on that day all of creation will swoon. So send a great deal of blessings upon me, for your blessings will be shown to me.” They said, “O Messenger of Allaah, how will our blessings upon you be shown to you when you have turned to dust?” He said, “Allaah has forbidden the earth to consume the bodies of the Prophets, peace be upon them.” [Abu Dawud]
- Day of Judgement will happen on a Friday
- “The best day on which the sun rises is Friday. It is the day Adam was created. It is the day when Adam entered the Heavenly Gardens, the day when he was expelled from it and also the day he died. Friday is the day on which the Day of Resurrection will take place.” – Prophet Muhammed
- This Ummah will be the first to enter Jannah and first to be questioned
- It is a Day for Rasulullah (s) and his followers
- Increase salutations upon Rasulullah (s) on this Day. “Indeed, Allah confers blessing upon the Prophet, and His angels [ask Him to do so]. O you who have believed, ask [ Allah to confer] blessing upon him and ask [ Allah to grant him] peace.” (33:56)
-Our last Zaad session is on the 2nd of January for this semester.
-13th February – 1st week of May